1. You’re not just a number. This is a specialist company, not a big corporate, so your application won’t get lost in the mix.
2. This company is not tiny though – a multi million pound turnover means its happy swimming in corporate seas, and servicing large boroughs. We give you access to vacancies all over UK.
3. The ethical heart of Backstop is all about helping vulnerable people by making sure great practitioners are working with them. A ‘good fit’ is all.
4. Backstop will not accept just anybody, but if you are accepted you know that they think you are really good.
5. We have an excellent fix on the earning potential of contract work – and how hourly and daily rates fluctuate in and out of London and across the country. Always happy to talk about that.
6. We will pursue all references and get to the bottom of what turns up. We always want to know the truths of the case, including how it was for you after every placement.
7. We offer a ‘recommend a friend’ referral bonus (terms and conditions naturally apply).
8. We are knowledgeable but not too cosy with umbrella companies and similar. These are providers and advisors out there that can handle your tax situation as a contract worker. We have no ‘special arrangement’ with any of them. And we know who the cowboys are and the horses they ride.
9. Great advice. Backstop staff know just about everything there is to know about contract working in social work and youth offending teams. We’ll always tell you the truth as we see it (in a most respectful way of course).
10. 17 years in the field and an average consultant track record of 10 years in recruitment means we know what we’re talking about.
11. Great Backstop founder stories. Started by Youth Justice Practitioner Dr Andrew Thorne and his partner Sarah Fanconi, founder of a holistic, independent and outstanding school.
12. Passionate about criminal justice, social work, education and the people who work in those fields. We reimburse the cost your DBS once you start working through us.
13. Great free news service. Backstop offers a free daily news service on criminal justice and social work topics – a significant number of leaders in these fields subscribe to this. Great for keeping up with the latest news stories, and actually pretty entertaining too.
14. Backstop is also a training provider – check out our newest groundbreaking training product which is all about harmful exploitation of vulnerable individuals.
15. We care so much about CPD we run a points scheme that locum practitioners on longer contracts can use to claim against books and Backstop training days.
16. The power of meeting face to face. Placing people in the right team is about chemistry, team working and fit, as well as CV’s and qualifications. When we register you as a locum practitioner we meet you face to face because that’s where the truly great conversations occur. We’ll travel to do that if it makes more sense for you. The telephone is good but we are aiming for better quality service than that.
17. We massively appreciate the huge amount of work undertaken by temporary contractors who are registered with us. We started sending out Christmas gift boxes in 2001. Our boxes were still going down well in 2017.
18. Your stories from the field mean a lot to us. If something amazing happens in the life of one of our temporary locums we celebrate it, from initiating great practice, to raising money for charity. We have been known to send bouquets.
19. We will give honest and clear advice on how you come across through your CV and interview, things you could improve and what are your best bits.
20. If you are paid weekly through us. We always. ALWAYS. Pay out on authorised timesheets on time, time after time, every week. Done that for going on 17 years now. Even if your timesheet is not authorised, our team will do everything reasonably possible to ensure that you get some money through.
Backstop is a member of ApsCo, The Association of Professional Staffing Companies, which is the UK’s leading professional recruitment industry body.
20 reasons to go with Backstop
Think - does your current agency do this stuff?
Our passion is the ongoing development of a successful ethical business that encourages and supports best practice. Because we are dedicated to improving life chances for vulnerable individuals.